Geneva, August 19: Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine, with the Australian admitting he made a “huge mistake” and describing the episode as a wake-up call after a prolonged battle with injuries.
The 31-year-old revealed the failed drug test on Wednesday (August 19), saying the sample was taken during a lower-tier grass-court event in Mallorca, Spain, in June.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) subsequently confirmed that Kyrgios had been provisionally suspended from August 4 after a WADA-accredited laboratory detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
Kyrgios has not appealed the provisional suspension, which prevents him from participating in professional tennis events while the case is pending.
Nick Kyrgios Admits Cocaine Positive
Kyrgios addressed the issue publicly on Instagram, taking responsibility for the failed test. “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” Kyrgios wrote. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”
He also apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and young followers, acknowledging the example set by his actions.
The ITIA said the sample was collected on June 22, with the positive result confirmed on July 17. The mandatory provisional suspension was then imposed on August 4.
Kyrgios Opens Up On Injuries And Mental Struggles
The failed test comes at a difficult stage of Kyrgios’ career.
Once one of the most talented and unpredictable players on the ATP Tour, the Australian has been severely restricted by injuries since his breakthrough run to the 2022 Wimbledon final, where he lost to Novak Djokovic.
Kyrgios said the physical problems have also taken a significant mental toll as he has struggled to come to terms with the possibility that his playing career could be nearing its end.
“The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally,” he said.
“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do.”
Kyrgios added that dealing with the end of his career had been particularly difficult.
“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said.
The Australian’s recent struggles have been stark. He has played only a handful of singles matches since his peak 2022 season and is now ranked 919th in the world.
From Wimbledon Final To A Career In Limbo
Kyrgios’ 2022 season remains the high point of his career. He reached his first Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, where he pushed his way through the draw before losing to Djokovic. He followed that run by winning the title in Washington, defeating Yoshihito Nishioka in the final.
He then reached the US Open quarter-finals, losing to Karen Khachanov.
But his career trajectory changed dramatically after a knee injury in Tokyo in October 2022.
Kyrgios subsequently underwent surgery and was sidelined for an extended period. A wrist injury then forced him to miss Wimbledon in 2023, and he played only once over the next two years.
His return to competitive tennis has been sporadic, with injuries continuing to restrict his ability to build momentum.
In 2025, he managed only a 1-4 singles record, losing in the first round of the Australian Open before missing the next three Grand Slam tournaments.
Kyrgios’ Latest Setback Comes After Brief Return
Kyrgios has managed only limited competition this year as he continues to deal with the physical consequences of his injury history.
He has a 1-3 singles record in 2026 and received a wildcard to compete in doubles at Wimbledon last month.
Partnering Alexander Bublik, Kyrgios lost in the opening round.
His latest ranking of 919 reflects just how far his competitive standing has fallen since his peak years.
Kyrgios was also at the centre of one of the more unusual tennis events of recent years when he defeated Aryna Sabalenka in a “Battle of the Sexes” exhibition in Dubai last December.
What Happens Next For Nick Kyrgios?
The ITIA will now prosecute the anti-doping case. Cocaine is prohibited in competition under the World Anti-Doping Agency’s rules, although sanctions can be reduced in cases where use is established as occurring outside competition. A previous case involving British player Dan Evans resulted in a one-year suspension after he tested positive for cocaine at the 2017 Barcelona Open.
Kyrgios could face a ban of up to four years, although the eventual sanction will depend on the circumstances established during the case.
For now, however, Kyrgios has indicated that he wants to step away from the spotlight.
‘This Has Given Me A Wake-Up Call’
Despite the latest setback, Kyrgios does not appear ready to close the door on tennis.
“This has given me a wake up call,” he said.
He announced that he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on getting himself right.
“I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right,” Kyrgios wrote.
For a player whose career has been defined by extraordinary talent, controversy and repeated interruptions, the latest chapter leaves an uncertain question hanging over his future: whether this really is another setback in a troubled comeback, or the moment that forces Kyrgios to finally confront what comes next.
(With Inputs from Agencies)
Source link
#Nick #Kyrgios #Tests #Positive #Cocaine #ITIA #Suspends #Athlete #Injuries #Left #Helpless


