US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner Among 8 Injury Doubts

US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner Among 8 Injury Doubts

The US Open is only two weeks away, but several of the biggest names in men’s and women’s tennis remain uncertain for the final Grand Slam of 2026, with injuries and lengthy layoffs threatening to reshape the field in New York.

Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz has not played since April after suffering a wrist injury, while world No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Open with a knee problem. Neither has withdrawn from the US Open, but their lack of recent match practice leaves their participation and fitness under scrutiny.

US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner Among 8 Injury Doubts

US Open 2026 injury update: Alcaraz, Sinner, Muchova and Paolini are among the major names facing a race to be fit for the final Grand Slam. PTI image

On the women’s side, Wimbledon runner-up Karolina Muchova is only just returning to practice after undergoing a small surgery, while Jasmine Paolini continues to manage a foot injury.

Several other players, including Emma Raducanu and Sebastian Korda, have already withdrawn from the tournament, while Holger Rune, Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Corentin Moutet and Jaqueline Cristian are among those whose US Open participation remains uncertain.

Carlos Alcaraz facing race against time

The defending US Open champion has not played competitively since April, when he suffered a wrist injury at the Barcelona Open.

The setback forced Alcaraz to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon. He had hoped to return at the Cincinnati Open, but withdrew from the tournament a week before it began.

The world No. 2 has continued training in Murcia, but going directly into best-of-five-set matches after a four-month absence would represent a significant challenge.

With the US Open beginning in two weeks, Alcaraz has little time to regain competitive sharpness.

Jannik Sinner’s knee issue adds another concern

Sinner’s situation is different, but no less significant.

The world No. 1 skipped the Canadian Open after Wimbledon before experiencing discomfort in his right knee. He subsequently visited medical clinics in Italy and later withdrew from Cincinnati.

“My right knee has been bothering me, and even though we have been working hard with my medical team, I have to accept that I’m not ready to compete yet,” Sinner said.

Sinner is believed to be on course to be ready for the US Open, but his fitness remains something to monitor given that he has not played for more than a month.

Holger Rune could miss another Grand Slam

Rune has been away from competitive tennis since October 2025 after tearing his Achilles tendon at the Stockholm Open.

The former world No. 4 had initially targeted a return during the clay-court season in May, but has yet to make his comeback.

Rune recently clarified that he had not withdrawn from the US Open and said he was working towards returning as soon as he was ready.

He has also suggested that a return during Denmark’s Davis Cup tie on September 18 could be an alternative, which would put his US Open participation in serious doubt.

Karolina Muchova returns after surgery

Muchova reached the Wimbledon final last month but has not played since.

The world No. 7 missed the Canadian Open and Cincinnati after undergoing what she described as a “small surgery”.

She has now returned to the practice courts and remains hopeful of competing at Flushing Meadows, but her lack of match play leaves questions over her readiness.

Jasmine Paolini still battling foot injury

Paolini has also been sidelined since Wimbledon, where she reached the quarter-finals.

The world No. 15 has been dealing with a foot injury for several months, forcing her to miss the WTA 1000 tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati.

Like Muchova, Paolini is hoping to recover in time for the US Open.

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina misses crucial preparation

Davidovich Fokina’s most recent appearance came at the ATP 250 tournament in Umag following Wimbledon, where he reached the quarter-finals.

The world No. 27 subsequently withdrew from both the Canadian Open and Cincinnati Open while dealing with a back injury.

With the US Open approaching, his absence from the hard-court swing could leave him short of preparation heading into the year’s final major.

Corentin Moutet takes time away

Moutet withdrew from Cincinnati after revealing that he had been dealing with a wrist injury since November.

The world No. 60 said the persistent pain had become too difficult to manage and that he needed time away to recover.

“Living with pain every day has become too hard,” Moutet said.

With only two weeks remaining before the US Open, his return remains uncertain.

Jaqueline Cristian faces a difficult recovery

Cristian is another player whose participation is in doubt after undergoing knee surgery last month.

The world No. 40 has not played since losing in the first round of Wimbledon and has now begun her recovery.

“Recovery starts now. I’ll see you back on court very soon,” Cristian said after the operation.

However, the timing of the surgery makes a US Open return difficult, with the Romanian yet to officially withdraw.

US Open field faces late fitness test

The uncertainty surrounding Alcaraz and Sinner is particularly significant given their status at the top of the men’s game, while Muchova and Paolini add further concern to a women’s draw already affected by withdrawals.

The situation could still change considerably before the US Open begins. Some of the players on the list are expected to make efforts to return, while others may decide that competing without sufficient preparation is not worth the risk.

For now, the final Grand Slam of 2026 is heading towards New York with several major names facing a race against time to be ready.

Source link
#Open #Carlos #Alcaraz #Jannik #Sinner #Among #Injury #Doubts

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *